Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cle Elum 50K





This year, two balanced athletes joined Eric and me to run the Cle Elum Ridge 50K ultra-marathon. Marty and Rob ran their first ultra distance, and they both had a blast (which they didn't realize until they had their second beer at the finish line :-)

Eric felt good, except he could not charge the up hill as he usually does. These days he is more of a road runner than a trail runner. Of course, he still managed to run a fast race.

I discovered a new mental trick to run the last 10 miles faster. I was impressed at how well it worked. It consisted on making my watch beep every 10 minutes, and I calculated that it would only take about 10 beeps to be done. All I did was wait for that beep, which allowed me to concentrate on one mile at a time. I caught up with three of the top women.

Beautiful day, views of Mt Rainier, and brownies at the end. What else can one ask for in life?

Thanks to Glenn Tachiyama for taking pictures

No comments: