Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's gotta be the shoe

As many of you may have heard, the barefoot trend is slowly picking up momentum.

IF you are inclined to try it out be very careful. I say careful because there is an "adjustment period" that your body, feet, legs, muscles, tendons, and joints will go through. The period may last from a few weeks to years.
There are a few stories out there that say the running shoe industry is causing all the injuries in runners. To get rid of your shoes and run the "natural way" the way we were born to run.
If we look a little deeper into the design phase of shoes from these companies, I have friends there, they actually go to great lengths in designing shoes with biomechanics in mind. They understand the biomechanics and impact forces encountered with running. However, the end user may not. They may purchase a shoe base on a review, friends advice, or a sales person telling them this is the perfect one for them. Many also look at shoes online and pick the color that bests matches most of their clothing.
There are many choices in running footwear out there. There is a do it yourself lace up sandle, Vibram Five Fingers, racing flats, light weight trainers, traditional running shoes, and now:

http://www.hokaoneone.com/fr/catalogue.html

These are unlike any shoe I have ever ran in in over 30+ years of running.
Truly an amazing shoe.

What is it? Why would anyone want to run in them?
First of all the shoe feels like you are floating over all the rocks, but yet your foot is stable since you are in the midsole. The shoe just soaked up all the trail impefections and gave a smooth gentle ride. I purposely ran off trail, over large rocks, and changed my running to a heavy heel strike to see if I could get the shoe to feel bad. Nope. The shoe rolled merrily along.

I had very little jarring and impact from a nice 10 mile run on the Pacific Crest Trail.
With 100mm across the bottom of your foot, just under 4 inches in width, it will be very hard to roll your ankle since you are on such a stable platform. The toe off was real smooth, the sole rolls upward just in front of the ball of the foot. Quickly, my cadence was at my noraml 180. DId I mention they are NOT heavy. They will come in at or below most trail shoes on the market today, 10.5 ounces - 12.0 ounces

I can tell you first hand that these shoes will make you really think about your running (in a good way) and what having FUN is all about.

I'll be the guy wearing the "funny looking" shoes that gives you a "on your left" as I float along the trail.

No comments: